Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cooked Cucumbers? and other culture shocks.

The last couple of days have been spent apartment shopping, working, and getting to know the quirks of a new country! Joe says he will learn so much more about the culture and the language with me being here.
- What is the Chinese word for boullion?
- How do you say, "Do you have any trouser socks?"
- Why does Carrefour (our local supermarket) play that SAME annoying song over and OVER?
- Why do they make Stinky Tofu (yes, that's it's name!) on EVERY street corner??? UGH. GAG.
- Why does the gas stove POOF at me every time I turn it on? Makes me jump every time!
- "Hun, I meant cucumbers would go good WITH the soup...not IN the soup!" "But that's what they do here in China...!" lol

SO many questions.
- Well, it LOOKS like lettuce.


I hung my laundry on the balcony to dry today! I was a little embarrassed b/c the big mall is right across the road and if people looked up high enough, they're going to see my, er, clothes hanging out to dry! There was a nice breeze today...what if one of my 12 Days of Christmases lands on some poor taxi driver's windshield???



Most of my week has been spent working...just like normal. BUT evenings are spent with JOE! >grin< It's so fun having adventures at Carrefour trying to decide what to make for dinner, cooking together, and then enjoying the great weather while walking around my new neighborhood, touring apartments, and having Joe explain all of the street vendors and their wares to me. SO much to LEARN!!!

We have also enjoyed spending time with friends! We so appreciate Daniel and Lizzy! We had dinner with them a couple of evenings ago...nothing but laughs and great stories! We always leave their home feeling so encouraged--and so well-fed! Lizzy's a great cook. I can't wait to have them into our home someday!




Lizzy and I are meeting for lunch and going shopping tomorrow! Since their wedding was just in November, she'll have plenty of ideas for me, I'm sure!
Thanks for popping in to read our blog...we love and miss you all!




2 comments:

  1. :D having fun with a new country or what? ha...makes me wanna travel. gettin the itch again. ;)
    your laundry story made me laugh really loud and Danny was like - what's funny? from the next room! lol
    love you sis! miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D having fun with a new country or what? ha...makes me wanna travel. gettin the itch again. ;)
    your laundry story made me laugh really loud and Danny was like - what's funny? from the next room! lol
    love you sis! miss you too!

    ReplyDelete