Sunday, February 1, 2009

Apartments, Malls, and the Banana Leaf

Joe's vacation is coming to a close. The past few days have been spent finding fun things to do while he's still on vacation! Yes, don't worry, he does let me work, too. He is very good at that. In case these pictures deceive you, I have been back to working full time again this week. However, he is also very good at helping me NOT to work! It's so fun to have someone show up at my door when office hours are over just to make sure I don't spend all day inside in front of my computer!

Friday night we met Percival, a friend of Joe's from cell group...and a friend of mine, now, too! He is from Malaysia, and is a blast! We went to the Banana Leaf. Why? I can only assume it was because of the plates. Aren't they cool?






Percival, Joe, and I had a couple of good laughs over the use of English. Here is Joe demonstrating his excellent form while in line at Cold Stone:



And here are the amazing singers from the Banana Leaf singing "Because of You" by Kelly Clarkson at our table to Joe and I when they found out we were engaged!



Fun times. >grin< It's been great getting to know the area a little bit...Joe bought me a map, so now I can follow the taxi when he takes us places! Tonight we bought apples and oranges from a street vendor across from the apartment and he said I can practice speaking with the vendor next time we buy them! Doa Shaw Chien? is my new phrase! (How much?) Joe just has to listen to the response b/c I haven't learned my numbers past 10 yet. (actually, still working on those, too!) Oh...and I bought some socks! Joe and I walked the entire 8 levels of the mall on Friday looking for the right pair. (purpose #2: get me out of the house and get some excercise! What better place than the mall???) Here's the mall across from the apartment...and the cool blue office building right beside it.



And this is my apartment (for now) I'm on floor 17 out of 36.



Joe knows I love cities at night...NanJing Road was a great street to explore right at the close of New Year celebrations. There were TONS of people! We had fun wandering down the street, in and out of shops. It was especially special to me because Joe had brought me there last year at this time. Amazing what happens in a year, isn't it?





I know it looks like a golden idol, but you have to remember it IS the year of the Ox. ;)



Our Saturday date was complete with a stop at an Indian Restaurant...one of our favorite foods.



Today is Sunday. Since church doesn't start till 2 PM, we had time to do something we had been hoping to do a loooong time ago: have an engagement shoot!!! Grayson Stallings was our photographer...and did he ever do a fantastic job! Photos from that will come soon!

Here is a glimpse of some of the streets we went down for our shoot:






I would love to post more pictures, but...well, you know Joey. AND I already told you what today is. Sunday. Yep, the Superbowl. Except for those of us here in China it starts at 7 AM. Which means that Joe will be here at 6:15 AM (YIKES!) to pick me up so we can get good seats at the sports bar where it's showing. Do you really think anyone else will be there at that time to watch football???

Guess we'll see!

Signing off with lots of love...

Nic & Joey

No comments:

Post a Comment