Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Jonathan in China!

The past week has been so fun with Jonathan as we go exploring together! He is helping me to branch out and discover new places, eat food I haven't tried yet, and just capture the wonder of a new country with me!

This is me after I picked up Jonathan from the airport...a victory shot once we got close to my "landmark" in my area...a giant leaning blue tower. If I can find it I can find home! haha


Seas of bicycles or scooters is very common here. Jonathan thought it was cool. ;)



Shopping together in Carrefour...about 5 min walk from my house, which is so handy! It's basically like Wal-Mart. We had to buy sheets and pillows and blankets for Jonathan!


The first dinner we took him to was this tiny little hole-in-the-wall local Chinese place that makes GREAT noodles. Probably wouldn't pass any health inspections at home, but the food is aMAZing! Jonathan loved it, and Joe and I love having him here!!!


He fits right in around here. haha


One day last week Jonathan just took our map and walked down random streets. It was so fun! We found some beeeautiful areas!






Other times we pick random things off of menues selling food off the street. This is me after I ordered a drink...it was crushed ice with strawberries poured on it with balls of gelitin. I wasn't sure at first, but it was quite refreshing! I'll remember that for a summer's day sometime.




On Saturday, Jonathan, Joe, and I took a train to Souzhou (sp?) to go DRESS shopping! They are such good sports...I had gone previously to find and order the bridesmaids dresses and my wedding dresses, but they got to go and help me pick them up! (Of COURSE we didn't let Joe see my wedding dress! How could you think that???)
This is us as soon as we stepped off the train, trying to figure out where to go!


Waiting in the queue for the taxi...


And if you want to see our FINDINGS from that day, you will have to join us on JULY 11th!!! ;)
Let me tell you, though, we were successful!!!
We stopped for a picnic on a patch of grass that we found...Joe captured Jonathan and I with a very famous leaning pagoda in the background!


Enjoying pineapple on a stick. Jonathan bought a pineapple-carving knife this weekend so he can do this, too!



Jonathan found out what "chestnuts roasted on an open fire" tastes like! Yum!


Me waiting patiently to see and try on my finished wedding dress!!! WOW!


Suzhou is known for its dress shops, and also costumes! After trying on a bunch of different kinds of costumes, Jonathan FINALLY found one that fit! and then he didn't buy it. boy. ;)



children playing. the area is sooo poor, but the dresses sooo beautiful.

My WEDDING DRESS!!!!




another pagoda...this one isn't supposed to be leaning, it's just taken out the window of the taxi. :P

After a long, FUN, but tiring day of shopping, we collapsed at a Korean restaurant, took off our shoes, and sat on the floor to enjoy a WONDERFUL meal! Jonathan loves Korean! I knew he would. :D


play by play of Jonathan seeing if a pepper is hot or not. haha He's a nut.




Joe and I laughing from the other side of the table. It WAS a hot pepper. VERY hot. lol

I'll post more pics soon of a water town we went to visit on Monday! But that will have to wait until AFTER we get back from hiking up a mountain tomorrow. Fun times!!!
J&N
PS...3 months and 2 days left!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment